MTN Lumos Solar has been around for over a year now and the concept is really nice and great especially for those who really need to utilize solar electricity and also, to increase the rate at which the use of solar in Africa as a whole since most parts of Africa are a sunny area.
The giant MTN is officially in partnership with the Lumos to give the entire public a noise free (silent) and pollution free constant power supply throughout the whole day just by generating power from the sun.
MTN Lumos Solar
If your current location is getting boring because of the fact that there is little to no supply of constant power supply? Burning too much fuel daily which costs you a huge amount of money monthly?
You need not worry anymore as you can enjoy life at its best using the MTN Lumos Solar Mobile Electricity in Nigeria.
You might be wondering how possible like I said earlier, this generates its energy from the sun and the sun is free, using this service safe, noiseless, reliable and a bit affordable.
But that is not all, you can also light up your entire house, charge your Mobile phones on the go and power up your gadgets every day, then repeat. It is as easy as ABC.
It is very important you know how this Lumos Solar works and what it can power just before purchasing it, otherwise, you might be expecting too much from the service and later not get what you expected.
Generally, this electricity system can power both AC and DC appliances but here is a list of supported appliances for the MTN Lumos Solar:
- Compatible appliances with the Direct Current DC (solar), up to 100W (accumulative) and 12V
- Alternating Current AC Compatible appliances that you already have at home, up to 60W (accumulative) and 220V (e.g Fans, TVs, Laptops, Tablets) and cannot power heavy kinds of stuff like Air conditioners, Deep freezers, Refrigerators, Electric cookers, Washing machines, AC ceiling fans, etc.
How to Join
The service is powered by MTN Nigeria and to join the service, you will need to have already been a user of MTN Nigeria.
1. From your SIM, call the service customer care 180 or better still, you can use Google Maps or Stores Map (Click Here) to locate the nearest MTN store available in your area if you don’t know any.
Here in Ilorin, Kwara State: You can easily locate the MTN Store at Fate and Taiwo Road.
2. After locating the office, you will have to pay the registration fee of about 19,000 NGN – 26,000 NGN (the price is not constant, I am not sure if it is based on location) at the official local MTN store.
The requirements for joining the service are quite easy, they are:
- an active MTN SIM Card registered in your name
- a Valid ID card
- the Names/details of 2 willing guarantors.
3. Depending on how much you paid for registration, you might need to pay an extra 6,000 NGN for a professional setup by an authorized installer.
4. Start using the service easily and keep subscribing via your MTN mobile phone
Although the registration fee payments include a one-time Set-up fee when you joining at any nearest MTN store but in some MTN Stores, they might split up the price for you which will still amount to the same price.
Subscription? Shouldn’t the service be free after the first payment? No, it’s not, there is an additional monthly subscription fee paid via your registered MTN sim and this process goes on for like 5 years after purchase 🙁 .
Here is a break down of the subscription fee:
|Plan||Price per day||Total plan price|
|1 day||230 NGN||230 NGN|
|5 days||200 NGN||1,000 NGN|
|10 days||180 NGN||1,800 NGN|
|20 days||165 NGN||3,300 NGN|
|30 days||150 NGN||4,500 NGN|
|90 days||140 NGN||12,600 NGN|
|180 days||130 NGN||23,400 NGN|
|365 days||128 NGN||46,720 NGN|
|1800 days||122 NGN||219,000 NGN|
Here are also some things to take note:
- You have to subscribe for 1800 days before you own the service permanently without any further subscription needed, on a rough sketch of the 122 NGN per day, you will pay a total of 219K NGN to retain the service.
- During this 1800 days period, it’s mandatory you subscribe for a minimum of 20 days out of 30 days regardless of you using it or not. Otherwise, the agreement is terminated and you have to go back to their office to request for activating the service back.
What’s in Included
After signing up and paying your one-time registration at your local MTN Store, you will be given your own Mobile Electricity Kit which has 5 years warranty (during this period, if you experience any difficulty or issue with your kit, you can take it get free repair service provided it is a technical error and not caused by rough handling of the mobile kit).
Contained in the kit is:
- Large 80W solar panel unit and cables
- Solar indoor unit
- 2 powerful led bulbs
- DC to AC converter.
As at the time of writing this article, the MTN Lumos Solar Electricity is not available in all the 36 States of Nigeria yet but there is a high assurance those locations will be covered very soon.
For now, the service is available Lagos, Abuja, Niger, Nasarawa, Kogi, Kaduna, Kano, Kastina, Zamfara, Plateau, Gombe, Oyo, Ondo, Kwara, Jigawa, Kebbi, Sokoto ,Bauchi, Abia, Anambra, Delta, Edo, Ebonyi and Imo.
For more information, do not hesitate to call the customer care and ask when it will be available in your region if it is not listed above.
- Noiseless and Pollute less 24/7 power supply
- Saves money a lot especially when there is a constant sunlight
- Charging is very easy with it
- You can power most appliances at home provided they are not heavy
- Depend less on PHCN everytime.
- It is expensive, I mean do I have to pay almost 300K to get an 80W Solar Electricity system
- It depends fully on the sun. So don’t expect anything on a cloudy or rainy weather
- Support for fewer gadgets (can only power appliances that utilize less power)
- Subscription is mandatory even if you don’t use it, it would have been better if its a kind of PayPerGo stuff.
This system is suitable for almost everyone especially students and local stores that don’t consume much energy daily. It is even better to use it for personal or family use alone as the system might not be able to work that perfectly in public due to its specifications.
MTN Lumos Solar is definately easy to use.